arts theater

‘Matilda the Musical’ comes to Buskirk-Chumley Theater

entmatildamusical120723.jpg

Bringing Roald Dahl’s visionary mind to Bloomington, “Matilda the Musical” will run from Dec. 14-31 at the Buskirk Chumley Theater. Presented by Constellation Stage & Screen, the performance features several elementary school students and professional actors from Bloomington and beyond. 

This musical presents the story of Matilda Wormwood, a gifted five-year-old girl with a love for books and a vivid imagination. Misunderstood and neglected by her parents, Matilda is excited to go to school for the first time, where she makes a connection with her teacher Miss Honey. 

But Matilda’s school life isn’t completely smooth sailing due to the school’s headmistress, Miss Trunchbull, who terrorizes her students with unrelenting punishments. Matilda’s courage and cleverness pushes her to take a stand, defend her friends from Miss Trunchbull and outwit her cruel parents. 

“Matilda the Musical” tells this story through high-energy dance numbers and catchy songs for the whole family to enjoy. The show offers performances at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. on varying days each week and runs for two hours and 30 minutes, including intermission. 

Anyone interested in attending this event can purchase tickets on the Buskirk-Chumley website or at the box office, starting at $20 for children and $35 for adults. The theater also offers a student ticket price of $23 with a valid student ID. 

For more information about “Matilda the Musical,” visit the Buskirk-Chumley website.