arts food

COLUMN: Six meals to fuel your brain this finals week

entbrainfood-illo

You do not want an empty stomach interrupting your study sessions or long exams this week. That is why I encourage you to fuel your body with foods that contain high sources of nutrition during finals week. If you are unsure where to start, here’s a list of brain-fueling meals that are sure to keep you full during the end of a busy semester.   

Breakfast  

Yogurt with berries — This breakfast makes for an easy on-the-go snack before a last-minute study session. The berries on top of the yogurt provide flavonoids, which are said to increase memory function, and the yogurt is rich in protein and will keep you full until lunch. 

Spinach omelet — Eggs are filled with vitamin B12, choline and selenium which are essential nutrients for brain. By eating foods with selenium and choline, you are boosting your immune system and allowing your brain to develop its memory storage. Additionally, spinach contains vitamin K which is known to preserve brain cells.  

Lunch  

Turkey avocado sandwich — Avocados possess a high level of monounsaturated fats, which allow for healthy blood flow. Pumping blood flow improves cognitive function and allows you to think critically and remember all the material you study for finals. Furthermore, the deli meat is a great source of protein and will keep you sustained until dinner . 

Broccoli orzo salad — You can prepare this meal by combining cooked orzo with sauteed broccoli and topping with a drizzle of oil and salt. The broccoli contains vitamin C, flavonoids and glucosinolates which lower the risk of neurodegenerative diseases and boost brain health.  

Dinner  

Salmon and quinoa — Salmon contains a fatty acid called Omega-3 that provides oxygen to your brain which allows you to retain new information while remembering old information. Additionally, intaking quinoa supplies your brain with complex carbs that convert into energy, allowing your brain to function properly. 

Kale salad with balsamic vinaigrette — Massage your kale and dress it with balsamic vinaigrette, parmesan cheese and salt for a yummy and nutritious dinner. Kale contains a high supply of brain-supporting antioxidants including Omega-3.  

Good luck this week, Hoosiers! Eat well and ace your exams!