sports women's soccer

Indiana women’s soccer NCAA Tournament region announced

spiuwsbrief110623.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer clinched an NCAA Tournament bid for the first time since 2013, the NCAA Selection Committee announced Monday afternoon. The Hoosiers finished the 2023 regular season with a record of 12-3-4. This is also the first time since 2013 they were able to reach 12 wins in a season.

Indiana was placed in the second region revealed which is highlighted by the No. 1 seed Clemson University. Indiana will travel to face the No. 6 seed St. Louis University, who ranked No. 21 in the final poll of the season. The Billikens have a current record of 15-2-2 and won their sixth consecutive Atlantic 10 Conference Tournament championship this season.  

The Hoosiers’ region also contains fellow Big Ten members No. 2 seed Penn State, who beat the Hoosiers twice this season, No. 5 seed Iowa, who did not play Indiana during the regular season and Rutgers, who lost to Indiana at home this season.   

If the Hoosiers can get a win on the road in St. Louis, they would play the winner of Georgetown University and Old Dominion University.  

Another notable opponent the Hoosiers could potentially face in the later rounds of the tournament is No. 23 Santa Clara University. Santa Clara finished third in the West Coast Conference and is the only other ranked team in the region besides St. Louis, Penn State and Clemson.  

Indiana will travel to St. Louis for the match at 8 p.m. Friday.

Follow reporters Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa) and PJ Katona (@PJ_Katona) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.