sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball’s Sara Scalia awarded Big Ten Player of the Week

spiuwbbaward112023.jpeg

Indiana women’s basketball’s fifth-year senior guard Sara Scalia earned Big Ten Player of the Week honors for her performances against Murray State University and Lipscomb University. 

Scalia notched 22 points against the Racers on Friday, going six-of-14 from the field and eight-of-eight from the free throw line en route to a 112-79 victory. 

On Sunday, the Stillwater, Minnesota, native scored 24 points against Lipscomb, going eight-of-14 from the field alongside a five-of-seven showing from beyond the arc. Scalia also went three-of-three from the charity stripe, remaining a perfect 15-of-15.  

Monday marks the second time Scalia has received Big Ten Player of the Week, previously receiving the honor in 2021-22 while at Minnesota. 

Indiana will travel to Fort Myers, Florida, for the 2023 Elevance Health Women’s Fort Myers Tip-Off. The Hoosiers are set to take on No. 19 University of Tennessee at 6 p.m. Thursday and Princeton University at 11 a.m. Saturday. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa), columnist Ryan Canfield (@_ryancanfield) and photographer Olivia Bianco (@theoliviabianco) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.