sports volleyball

Indiana volleyball wins final regular season match at Michigan, ties program record with 21 wins

spiuvbrecap112723.JPG

Indiana volleyball traveled to Michigan for its final regular season match of the 2023 season. After a win Friday at Michigan State the Hoosiers — for the first time since 2002 — notched a 10-win Big Ten season and 20-win season. Indiana took down the Wolverines in four sets, winning 3-1. 

Indiana opened the first set with two consecutive service aces but struggled to keep the ball inside the lines. Sophomore opposite Avry Tatum capitalized early on the small block from Michigan, leading all with four kills before the first timeout as Indiana led 13-10. The Hoosiers ran away with the opening set as they controlled the tempo, winning 25-19. 

As a team, Indiana hit .344 with 14 kills on 32 swings. Tatum led Indiana with five kills on ten swings and no errors. Senior middle blocker Savannah Kjolhede added three kills and three blocks. Michigan struggled offensively with 11 kills and six errors on 37 swings in the first set. 

Indiana started the second set slow, quickly falling 6-3. Michigan had three blocks early in the second set as Indiana struggled to get the ball over the net. For Indiana, senior outside hitter Morgan Geddes provided two kills in the middle of set two to help tie the match up 18 all. The Hoosiers briefly took the lead before two points for Michigan tied it back up 21 down the stretch. Indiana closed out the set with a 4-0 run, winning 25-21. 

Tatum continued to be the go-to attacker for Indiana, tallying three kills on eight swings in the second set, including the final kill to take the set. The Hoosiers had 17 kills and six errors and hit .244 in the second set, adding a pair of blocks and service aces.  

Just like the second set, Indiana trailed early down 5-2 before both Kjolhede added a kill and a block, giving the momentum back to Indiana. The Hoosiers fueled a run of their own tying the match at nine apiece. The Wolverines — out of their own timeout — fired off a run going up 18-10 and forced an Indiana timeout. Indiana did not have an answer all set for the Wolverines offense as Michigan took the third set 25-18, avoiding the sweep. 

Indiana hit .077 in the third with 12 kills and nine errors, while Michigan hit .267 with 12 kills and 4 errors. 

Defensively, Indiana blocked three attacks early in the fourth set. After a successful challenge from the Hoosier bench, Indiana held a three-point lead 12-9. Michigan struggled to find the floor with its attacks, and Indiana capitalized and took the lead 19-12. After trailing by as many as eight in the fourth set, Michigan tied the set up late at 21 all. Indiana took the set 25-23 and the match 3-1. 

Geddes led Indiana with 11 kills for the match, followed by Kjolhede and sophomore outside hitter Candela Alonso-Corcelles with 10 apiece. Indiana had 15 blocks in the four-set win to go along with four service aces, 50 assists, and 49 digs.  

Indiana freshman libero Ramsey Gary set the program record for digs in a season with 520 total digs. 

Indiana closed out the regular season with a record of 21-10 and 11-9 in conference play. Its win mark tied the program record for wins in a season. The Hoosiers were not selected for the NCAA Tournament, and with that they end one of the most successful seasons in program history.