Indiana football quarterback Brendan Sorsby enters transfer portal

spiufbsorsby112623.jpg

Indiana football redshirt freshman quarterback Brendan Sorsby announced he is entering the transfer portal Sunday afternoon, according to a post on his social media. His decision comes the day head coach Tom Allen was relieved of his duties.

After rotating snaps with fellow redshirt freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson, Sorsby took hold of the starting spot Oct. 21 against Rutgers. The Denton, Texas, native gradually improved as the season wore on. 

Under offensive coordinator Rod Carey — who took over for Walt Bell after he was fired on Oct. 1 — Sorsby started to open up the offense more and utilized his legs to extend plays. He went 1-5 as the full-time starter, with his sole victory coming against Wisconsin on Nov. 4. 

In total, Sorsby threw for 1,587 yards and 15 touchdowns this season. He added 286 yards and four scores on the ground. Perhaps his sharpest outing of the year came against Illinois on Nov. 11, when Sorsby tossed for 289 yards and three touchdowns, as well as posting a pair of rushing scores, as well. 

Sorsby, a 3-star rated quarterback prospect in the class of 2022, redshirted his first year with the Hoosiers. He appeared in one game in 2022, being one of just 15 Indiana true freshman to make their debuts. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.