INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football crumbles, falls to Purdue 35-31 in Old Oaken Bucket game

spiufbinstant112523.jpg

WEST LAFAYETTE — Indiana football fell to Purdue 35-31 Saturday afternoon at Ross-Ade Stadium in the final game of the season, marking the Hoosiers third consecutive loss to the Boilermakers in the Old Oaken Bucket game. 

Purdue junior quarterback Hudson Card devastated the Hoosiers both through the air and on the ground. He went 21-of-34 with 275 and three touchdowns and added 85 rushing yards with a score on the ground, as well. 

FIRST QUARTER 

On the third play of the Hoosiers’ first possession, Sorsby overthrew junior wideout Donaven McCulley, and the pass fell right into the arms of Purdue freshman defensive back Dillon Thieneman, who returned the interception to Indiana’s 12-yard line. 

The Boilermakers’ drive quickly stalled, and redshirt senior kicker Ben Freehill sent his 30-yard field goal try wide of the uprights. Indiana punted on its ensuing three possessions, with a 29-yard rush from senior running back Josh Henderson marking the Hoosiers’ sole first down. 

After Purdue punted on its third consecutive drive, the Hoosiers picked up some momentum. Sophomore running back Jaylin Lucas scampered for 12 yards on the first play of the possession, and Indiana worked to Purdue’s 33-yard line in two more plays. 

From there, Sorsby launched a pass up the middle to senior receiver DeQuece Carter, who hauled in the 33-yard score to give the Hoosiers a 7-0 lead with 34 seconds left in the quarter.  

SECOND QUARTER 

The Boilermakers responded early in the second quarter. Card connected with freshman receiver Jaron Tibbs for 14 yards, and he found freshman tight end George Burhenn for a 14-yard pick up a few plays later. 

On the next play, from Indiana’s 33-yard line, Card threw a laser to Burhenn for a touchdown up the middle of the field. The extra point attempt was no good, and Purdue trailed 7-6 with 12:07 left in the quarter. The Boilermakers’ scoring drive spanned 66 yards in seven plays. 

After a slow start to the game, the Hoosiers notched a quick score on their next possession. Aided by a personal foul penalty on Purdue, Indiana started its drive with excellent field possession at Purdue’s 49-yard line. 

Sorsby methodically worked down the field primarily by way of McCulley. McCulley posted a pair of catches for 22 yards on two plays, and then from Purdue’s 10-yard line, McCulley leapt over his defender to corral a touchdown reception. 

On Indiana’s next drive, Purdue senior defensive back Cam Allen picked off Sorsby. Despite an accurate throw to junior receiver Andison Coby along the sideline, Allen made a terrific play to snatch the ball away for the turnover. 

Shortly thereafter, Sorsby tossed his third interception of the half. Like his first, he overthrew McCulley, and it wound up in the hands of Thieneman. With a little under three minutes remaining in the quarter, Card and the Boilermakers worked quickly into Indiana territory. 

Then, on 3rd and 4 from the Hoosiers’ 16-yard line, Card scrambled around to evade pressure and connected with redshirt sophomore tight end Drew Biber for a wide-open touchdown. Purdue couldn’t convert its 2-point conversion attempt and trailed 14-12 at the break. 

THIRD QUARTER 

Aided by a 49-yard kickoff return from senior running back Dylan Downing, the Boilermakers started the second half with favorable field position. Purdue couldn’t muster much offensively, but Freehill ultimately converted a 33-yard field goal to put the hosts ahead 15-14 early. 

Just moments later, Lucas took the kickoff 100 yards to the end zone for his first return score of the year. Indiana took a 21-15 lead with 13:02 remaining in the quarter. Like it did early in the second quarter, though, Purdue had a quick answer. 

Card continued to devastate the Hoosiers with his legs, and his 25-yard scramble, and an added face mask penalty, set Purdue up at Indiana’s 25-yard line. Freehill drilled a 44-yard field goal on 4th and 12 to cut the Hoosiers’ lead to 3. 

With just under five minutes left in the quarter, Indiana commenced another quick scoring drive. Sorsby found junior receiver E.J. Williams Jr. for 25 yards, and then another 17 shortly thereafter. From Purdue’s nine-yard line, Sorsby swung a pass to Henderson who burst toward the pylon for a touchdown. 

With the score, Indiana took a 28-18 lead with a little over a minute left in the quarter. 

FOURTH QUARTER 

On the first play of the final quarter, Purdue faced a 4th and 2 from Indiana’s 38-yard line. Card faked a run and no Hoosier defender accounted for Boilermaker sophomore running back Devin Mockobee, who crept toward the sideline and hauled in an easy touchdown. 

As Indiana’s tackling issues persisted, Card continued to carve apart its defense. He slipped away from two Hoosier defenders in the backfield to find Burhenn for a big first down to Indiana’s 33-yard line. 

With 8:44 remaining, Freehill knocked in a 35-yard field goal to knot the score at 28 apiece. 

Courtesy of a 19-yard grab from Williams, Indiana quickly worked into Purdue’s territory. The drive came to a halt at the 21-yard line, where redshirt junior kicker Chris Freeman converted a 39-yard field goal to put the Hoosiers ahead 31-28 with just over five minutes to play. 

Still, the back-and-forth-affair continued. Card launched a 44-yard bomb to Purdue redshirt freshman receiver Deion Burks, then found him for 14 yards two plays later. Card capped the drive with a 10-yard rushing score to put Purdue ahead 35-31 with 2:39 remaining. 

Sorsby and Indiana’s offense couldn’t muster quite enough, and the drive halted at Purdue’s 35-yard line after a failed 4th and 1 attempt. Card took a couple kneel downs, sealing the Boilermakers’ third consecutive win over the Hoosiers. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.