arts food

Trying India Garden’s authentic all-you-can-eat lunch buffet

entindiangarden110823.jpg

It can be overwhelming walking down Fourth Street with all the authentic international cuisine options. If you want an international meal, but are unsure where to go, I encourage you to try India Garden Restaurant.  

India Garden Restaurant offers a lunch buffet from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. every day besides Monday. For $14, you can indulge in endless Indian food. I stopped by this week for lunch and loved it! 

Plate number one 

On my first trip to the buffet, I put items on my dish that I was comfortable with. I occasionally eat Indian food, so I was able to spot my favorite Indian meals in the buffet. On my first go around, I got chicken tikka masala, chicken chili, naan and white rice.  

Chicken tikka masala is a traditional Indian dish that consists of roasted chicken covered in a rich and creamy tomato sauce. I thought the chicken tikka masala tasted great. The chicken was tender, and the sauce was heavy. Anyone who appreciates a thick sauce will enjoy this dish.  

While the establishment called this dish chicken chili, do not picture a thick soup. The chicken chili was grilled boneless chicken cubes simmered in a tomato sauce mixed with grilled onions and peppers. The slightly charred vegetables were crisp and tasty.  

While I will still review the naan and white rice, keep in mind that I will probably never complain about these two foods. The naan was hot, doughy and delicious, while the plain rice perfectly complimented the chicken dishes.  

After plate number one, I was ready to venture out and try Indian dishes I had never tried before.  

Plate number two 

As I re-entered the buffet line, I looked for new and exciting options.  On my second helping, I got chicken curry, vegetable pakora, saag chole, dal makhani and gulab jamun. 

Starting off with the chicken curry, it was quite delectable. I enjoyed the seasoning of the chicken and its light gravy glazing.  

Additionally, the vegetable pakora was a yummy surprise. I put a few fritters on my plate unsure of what would be inside. I took a big bite and enjoyed the fried delicacy.  

The saag chole and dal makhani were two traditional Indian dishes that I had never tried before.  Saag chole is a spinach and chickpea curry, and the dal makhani is a creamy lentil dish. I used my leftover naan and dipped the bread in both the stew and curry. I am glad I went out of my comfort zone and tried these two foods! 

Finally, I ended my lunch with dessert. Gulab jamun is an Indian donut formed from milk and dipped in sugar syrup. The donuts are extremely sweet and are a perfect way to end the meal. 

India Garden’s lunch buffet is a perfect opportunity to indulge in your favorite Indian meals or branch out and try new ones.