COLUMN: A guide on how to survive the dorms

ophousingandlivingiudorm.jpg

Lots of freshman don’t feel prepared to live on their own. There’s a lot of big changes that come with living in the dorms and away from home for the first time. With some time to adjust along with these useful tips, the dorm life can make your freshman year much more memorable.  

Keep your room clean 

The dorm space is a little tight, but cleaning up after yourself makes the space feel more open. When there are clothes on the floor and food on desks, it makes it harder to move around in such a small space. A vacuum is great for quickly cleaning your carpet. I remember using my vacuum at least twice a week during my freshman year and it made a big difference. A 3-Tier rolling cart is great for storing snacks, toiletries and other items that take up your already-limited space. With a spotless room, not only will you be in a better mood, but you will feel better about inviting in visitors from your floor.   

Be welcoming to your neighbors. 

It’s important to keep a friendly smile on your face around the dorm during the first couple weeks of school. Being kind to your floor mates is the best way to make new friends.  People often recommend leaving your door open to say hi to people passing by, and it really is some of the best advice for those first few weeks of school. Some students may even walk right into your room and introduce themselves. Everyone is eager to make new friends freshman year, so it doesn’t hurt to welcome your neighbors with open arms. While you don’t need to make friends with everyone in your dorm, it’s always nice to know the people you live near.  

Create a Healthy Sleep Schedule 

A healthy sleep schedule is crucial to maintain when living in the dorms. You’re adjusting to a new schedule and new friends, which can easily make you feel exhausted at the start of the school year. Even if your classes don’t start very early, it’s always nice to wake up at a decent hour to get a head start on the day. If you’re used to going to bed past midnight, try to switch up your routine. You can take baby steps – try to lay in bed at 11:00 p.m. to read a book or just relax.  Going to bed early always makes me feel better in the morning, I am more productive, and I can start my homework on time. A good sleep schedule gives you more energy to focus in class and keep up with new friends.  

Living on your own in a dorm may seem scary at first, but if you take care of yourself and you’re kind to those around you, then you will have nothing to worry about.