city politics

Indiana voting registration ends Oct. 10. Here’s what you need to know

cavoter092221.jpg

Voter registration for Indiana’s Nov. 7 elections ends at 11:50 p.m. Oct. 10. 

You are eligible to vote in Indiana if you are a U.S. citizen and an Indiana resident, have resided in your voting precinct for over 30 days before Nov. 7, are at least 18 years old and are not currently in prison after being convicted of a crime. A driver’s license or state ID is required to vote. 

Bloomington residents will have several elections on their ballots, including the mayoral race, although Democrat Kerry Thompson is the only candidate. It will also include the city clerk and both local and at-large city council elections. 

Bloomington ballots will also have a measure on whether to increase property taxes to fund and expand early childhood education, eliminate student and family fees in K-12 education as well as other education-related programs. This would result in a 12.61% average property tax increase on residences and a 12.24% increase on business property, according to the ballot measure. 

To check your registration or register for the first time, go to Indiana’s Voter Portal. You may also register in-person at BMV branches or county election offices. Voting hours and locations are also available on the portal 

The 2023 elections will also include mayoral and city council races in Indianapolis and Fort Wayne, as well as municipal elections across the state. To easily see who is on your ballot, enter your home address into Ballotpedia’s sample ballot lookup. 

Early voting opens Oct. 11. You may either vote absentee in-person at your precinct's polling location Oct. 11 to Nov. 6, or request a mail-in ballot through the portal before Oct. 26.