Saturday, July 27

campus bloomington

IU’s 'Taylor Swift: The Conference Era' to feature scholars from around the world Nov. 3-5

cataylor102423.jpg

The IU Arts and Humanities Council will host “Taylor Swift: The Conference Era from Nov. 3-5 at multiple locations across Bloomington. 

According to the event posting, this academic conference will examine the career, discography, legacy and cultural impact of 12-time Grammy-award winner Taylor Swift.  

Taylor Swift embarked on her record-breaking Eras Tour this year. Swift has been credited by people such as Illinois Gov. J.B. Pritzker with reviving the state’s tourism industry after performing three shows in Chicago.  

Swift will perform three shows at Lucas Oil Stadium in Nov. 2024. 

The event will feature keynote speakers, panels and workshops with more than 30 scholars from across the world. 

Panel topics include “Tour Economy and Crowd Culture” and “Feminism and Capitalism.” Confirmed speakers include Amelia Morris, culture and media theorist from the University of Exeter in England, and Associate Professor of Dance Mary Fogarty from York University in Toronto. 

IU will hold the conference at the Buskirk-Chumley Theater at 114 E. Kirkwood Ave. on Nov. 3-4. A Taylor Swift themed artist market will take place at the Cook Center for Public Arts and Humanities on Nov. 5. The First Thursdays Festival from 5-7 p.m. Nov. 2 will also include Taylor Swift themed activities.  

Guests do not need to have tickets to attend the events at First Thursdays Festival or the Taylor Swift themed artist market. 

The Arts and Humanities Council will release the conference schedule later this month. Guests are not required to stay for all panels and they may choose which panels they want to attend. 

This event is currently sold out and no more tickets are available to reserve. 

However, the event is still looking for volunteers. Volunteers can get more information here.