city crime & courts

IUPD receives report of armed robbery early Sunday morning

Crime Filler

The Indiana University Police Department responded to McNutt Quad after a report of an armed robbery around 3 a.m. Sunday in the 1100 block of E. 13th Street. IUPD issued three IU Notify Bloomington alerts with information about the situation from 3:19 a.m. to 4:25 a.m.

According to an IU Notify Bloomington alert, IUPD first alerted students, faculty and staff on campus that an armed robbery had been reported near the 13th and Fee Parking lot at 3:19 a.m. The alert directed those on campus to trust their instincts and take shelter if they were close to the parking lot until the department issued a final IU notify update.

IUPD Public Information Officer Hannah Skibba said the student victim reported they had attended an off-campus party with a group of people they had met online earlier that night. The victim reported that after the party, the suspect – described as a mixed-race man, approximately 20-years-old with tattoos and a short buzz cut – offered to give the student a ride back to campus.

After arriving at the 13th Street and Fee Lane parking lot, the suspect physically battered the student using a handgun before taking multiple items, Skibba said. The suspect then left campus in a sedan. IUPD issued a second alert at 3:54 a.m. The student victim reported that the suspect stole a watch, a cell phone, backpack, shoes, and wallet, according to the alert.

In a third and final alert issued at 4:25 a.m., IUPD said the suspect appeared to leave campus, meaning there was no imminent threat to campus. However, IUPD stated the investigation and search for the suspect is ongoing.

Skibba said the victim was transported to the Monroe Hospital for minor injuries and that the investigation is ongoing at this time.

IUPD encourages those with any additional information on crimes to call 911 or (812) 855-4111, according to their campus security policies.