sports women's basketball

Indiana women’s basketball selected to finish second and third, Holmes received preseason recognition

spiuwbbbrief100423.jpeg

Indiana women’s basketball graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes was selected to the preseason all-Big Ten Team on Wednesday. The Hoosiers were picked to finish second by the media and third by the coaches as they are coming off the program’s first Big Ten regular season title since 1983. 

Holmes was awarded a flurry of Big Ten awards a season ago, headlined by Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year, All-Big Ten First Team and Academic All-Big Ten. The Gorham, Maine, native averaged 22.3 points and 7.3 rebounds in 2022-23, shooting 68% from the field. 

Only Iowa was selected to finish ahead of Indiana by the media, while Iowa and Ohio State were picked to finish ahead of the Hoosiers by the Big Ten coaches. 

The Hoosiers will take the court alongside the Indiana men’s basketball team for Hoosier Hysteria on Oct. 20. Holmes and the Hoosiers will open their season Nov. 1 at Simon Skojdt Assembly Hall against Northwood University. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa) and columnist Ryan Canfield (@rpcvsthewrld) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.