INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football steamrolled in ‘The Big House,’ loses 52-7 to Michigan

spiufbinstant101423.jpeg

ANN ARBOR — Coming off a bye week in which Indiana head coach Tom Allen fired offensive coordinator Walt Bell, Indiana football was dominated 52-7 by No. 2 Michigan on Saturday. 

Although offensive coordinator Rod Carey has taken the reigns of the offensive, Indiana mustered up 232 yards against a Wolverines defense that allows 233.3 yards per game – third best in the country. 

FIRST QUARTER 

Michigan won the coin toss, choosing to defer to the second half. Indiana received the opening kickoff and proceeded to go three and out. The Wolverines matched the Hoosiers on their first drive going three and out, losing 11 yards. 

The Hoosiers were driving on their next drive and were inside the red zone, but redshirt freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson was picked off. Michigan once again went three and out, punting the ball back to Indiana. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Brendan Sorsby entered the game for Hoosiers’ third drive. Indiana jumped out to a 7-0 lead with a hint of trickery when Sorsby tossed a backward lateral to junior wide receiver Donaven McCulley who then launched a 44-yard touchdown pass to sophomore running back Jaylin Lucas. 

SECOND QUARTER 

While Michigan went three and out in its opening two drives, the Wolverines showed why they are the No. 2 team in the country on their next three series. Senior running back Blake Corum opened the scoring for Michigan with a one-yard touchdown run early in the second frame. 

Junior quarterback J.J. McCarthy tossed a two-yard touchdown pass to senior wide receiver Roman Wilson to take a 14-7 lead. Corum added another one-yard touchdown run with 11 seconds left in the half to give Michigan a 21-7 advantage heading into the locker room. 

THIRD QUARTER 

The Wolverines received the kick to begin the second half and picked up where they left off. McCarthy led a four-play, 65-yard drive capped off with a 54-yard touchdown throw to sophomore tight end Colston Loveland. 

Sorsby remained under center for the Hoosiers, but couldn’t get in any sort of rhythm in the game. Indiana went three-and-out in its first drive of the half, losing 13 yards. 

An Indiana punt gave the Wolverines the ball, who then wasted no time adding to their lead. McCarthy tossed a seven-yard touchdown to freshman wideout Semaj Morgan to stretch Michigan’s lead to 35-7. 

Jackson re-entered the game under center for the Hoosiers but promptly fumbled the ball at Indiana’s 10-yard line to give the Wolverines favorable field position. Michigan tacked on a field goal to extend its lead to 38-7. 

FOURTH QUARTER 

A turnover on downs from Sorsby and company gave the ball back to the Wolverines. A two-yard touchdown run from junior running back Donoven Edwards gave Michigan a 45-7 lead. 

Former Indiana quarterback Jack Tuttle — now Michigan quarterback — tossed a four-yard touchdown pass to freshman wide receiver Karmello English to give the Wolverines a 52-7 victory. 

While the Hoosiers were steamrolled Saturday afternoon and continue their quarterback controversy, they will now set their sights on Rutgers, who they play at noon Oct. 21 in Bloomington. Indiana now stands at 2-4 and 0-3 in Big Ten play. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.