arts iu auditorium

IU film conference to screen unseen Andy Warhol, Jesse Eisenberg films this week

enteisenbergwarhol091223.jpg

IU students and Bloomington residents can catch the premier of films by Andy Warhol and Jesse Eisenberg at the Century of 16mm film conference this week. The four-day event kicks off with an opening reception at 5 p.m. Wednesday at the IU Auditorium.  

According to IU Libraries, 2023 marks 100 years since the debut of the Eastman Kodak 16-milimeter film camera, which revolutionized the medium and allowed filmmaking to become more widely accessible to a huge variety of artists.  

Throughout the week, films from a variety of well-established and underground filmmakers will screen. Experts and archivists from around the country will hold seminars about filmmaking as well.  

[RELATED: COLUMN: Life lessons from Olivia Rodrigo’s ‘GUTS’]

All-inclusive tickets for the conference are $200 and available on the Century of 16mm website. The first film screening, “Films for one to eight projectors,” is free and open to the public.  

IU Libraries Moving Image Archive commissioned 17 new projects for the conference. Filmmakers from around the world produced three-minute films for a series called “A New Century,” which will begin screening Thursday morning. The films celebrate the history and impact of 16-millimeter film as a medium. Each of the artists was given rolls of film and told one rule: “Make what you want,” according to the IU Libraries website.  

One of the films featured in “A New Century” was created by Oscar-nominated actor and writer Jesse Eisenberg. His short film, “In the Morning Kitchen,” will premiere at the conference at 10:15 a.m. Friday. The screening is included in the ticket cost.  

The conference will also screen never-before-seen short films by iconic artist Andy Warhol at 10:55 a.m. Thursday. The films, which were restored by archivists at the Museum of Modern Art and the Andy Warhol Museum, were shot by Warhol on film between 1963 and 1965. They feature shots from Warhol’s home in Connecticut, as well as unseen shots from his films like “More Milk Yvette” and “Lupe.” 

Century of 16mm will conclude with a closing reception at 7 p.m. Saturday in Franklin Hall. For a full schedule of events, visit the Century of 16mm website.