sports women's soccer

Aggressive play powers Indiana women’s soccer to 2-1 win over Illinois

spiuwsrecap092123.jpg

Indiana women’s soccer left Champaign, Illinois victorious after a 2-1 victory Thursday night.  

The same “first to the ball” aggressive play that secured the team a 3-2 victory in a hard-fought battle with Rutgers on Sept. 17 gave the Cream and Crimson an early lead Thursday. Yet it also left them vulnerable to Scarlet Knight counterattacks.  

Following the game, head coach Erwin van Bennekom was asked if the pressure was a sustainable style of play for 90 minutes. 

“It should be,” van Bennekom said, “We're fit, we have numbers, we have depth.” 

The Hoosiers started the game showcasing the same offensive press that earned them their last.. As a result, they heavily controlled the early scoring opportunities, peppering in multiple shots in the early minutes. 

Indiana’s aggressive pressure eventually paid off in the 19th minute when sophomore defender Natasha Kim disrupted a passing lane, setting up senior midfielder Anna Bennett with a shot on goal. The Holland, Michigan, native struck the ball with her right foot, sending it into the back of the net and giving the Hoosiers a 1-0 lead. Indiana has scored first in all 10 of its games this year. 

Unfortunately for the Hoosiers, a 35th minute turnover left the Fighting Illini with an opportunity to level the game. Illinois senior forward Sydney Stevens showed quickness with the ball darting to the near side of the 18-yard box before firing a perfectly placed ball in the goal to make the score 1-1. 

That scoreline would not last long. In the 39th minute, IU senior midfielder Sophia Black squeaked the ball past the outstretched keeper to give Indiana a 2-1 lead. The Illinois defenders vied for an offside call, but the referees did not avail, sending the game into halftime with the Hoosiers on top. 

The second half would prove to be fruitless for the Fighting Illini, who were unable to score an equalizing goal. The Hoosiers’ back line held strong, limiting the Illinois attack while junior goalkeeper Jamie Gerstenberg came up with four clutch saves to keep Indiana in control. 

A successful first half of the season has left the Hoosiers with an 8-0-2 record, but the competition will only get tougher as the team marches further into conference play.  

Indiana women’s soccer will now head home to Bloomington where they will host Northwestern on Sunday. The game is set to kick off at 1 p.m. and will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus. 

Follow reporters Quinn Richards (@Quinn_richa) and PJ Katona (@PJ_Katona) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s soccer season.