sports golf

Indiana men’s golf places 9th at Folds of Honor Collegiate

spiumgrecap090923.jpg

After the three-day event in Grand Haven, Michigan, Indiana men’s golf team placed ninth at the Folds of Honor Collegiate. Indiana’s starters shot 877 (+25) over 54 holes at the American Dunes Golf Club. Senior Drew Salyers led the way for Indiana, posting scores of 215 (70-73-72; +2) from September 3-6.  

Salyers, the 2023 All-American, finished ninth out of 90 golfers and marked his 13th top-10 individual finish. The senior also recorded seven birdies and one eagle to place first for Indiana.  

Redshirt senior Noah Gillard placed second for Indiana and 16th individually. Gillard started off strong, opening the first round tied for second with a 68 (-3). Gillard posted scores of (68-76-73; +4) and knocked in a team-high 12 birdies through all three rounds. 

Placing third for the Hoosiers was graduate student Thomas Hursey. Hursey also knocked in six birdies and shot +12 after three rounds played.  

Freshman Cole Starnes made his collegiate debut for Indiana, ending his introduction (+12) with seven total birdies throughout. Starnes caught fire to end his third round, where he birdied four of his last nine holes to finish one under par.  

Placing fifth for the Hoosiers was senior Eric Berggren. Berggren was consistent for Indiana, ending the tournament with scores of 226 (73-77-76; +13), also notching three birdies of his own. 

After day one, Indiana started off strong, ending with a score of 284 (+3). Gillard propeled Indiana early on, finishing his first round with a 68 (-3) with five birdies on the back nine. Salyers also finished his first round one under par, with four birdies to go along with it.  

After ending day one in third place, Indiana struggled on day two. The Hoosiers droppped to 10th after the second round, finishing with a score of 306 (+25), with not a single Hoosier finishing at or below par. The best finish after the second round was Salyers with a 73 (+2).  

On day three, consistency found its way back for Indiana’s starting lineup. The squad finished the third round with a 287 (+3) to move up one spot, ending up in ninth out of 18 schoools. Indiana’s top finisher on day three was Starnes, who led the way for Indiana, ending his final round one under par.  

The Hoosiers are back in action Saturday at Delaware Country Club For the Earl Yestingsmeier Invitational. Following that, Indiana will be in Westchester, Illinois, for the Chicago Highlands Invitational hosted by Wake Forest University. 

Follow reporter Charlie Huiras (@Charlie_Huiras) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s golf season.