INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football drops season opener 23-3 to No. 3 Ohio State

spiufbinstant090223.jpg

Despite holding a talented No. 3 Ohio State offense to just 10 first half points, Indiana football fell 23-3 to the Buckeyes in Saturday afternoon’s season opener at Memorial Stadium in Bloomington. 

The Hoosiers were outgained 380-153 in total offensive yardage and managed just 82 yards through the air between redshirt freshman quarterbacks Brendan Sorsby and Tayven Jackson. 

FIRST QUARTER 

Sorsby opened the game as the Hoosiers’ quarterback, marking the Denton, Texas native’s first collegiate start. Indiana’s first drive stalled, and Ohio State took over on its own 20-yard line. 

The Buckeyes marched down the field with relative ease, going 80 yards in 11 plays. Senior running back Miyan Williams capped off the drive with a 7-yard rushing score, and Ohio State took a 7-0 lead roughly midway through the first quarter. 

Sorsby’s second drive quickly turned sour as the Hoosiers gained just 2 yards and were forced to punt after a quick three and out. Indiana’s defense stayed strong in the ensuing possession, forcing a Buckeye three and out with a little over five minutes to go. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Tayven Jackson took over with four minutes remaining in the first quarter, but the Hoosiers’ offense remained stagnant and were ultimately forced to punt. 

SECOND QUARTER 

The Buckeyes were gashing the Hoosiers to start the second quarter, but an interception from Indiana sophomore defensive back Phillip Dunnam on 4th and short shifted the momentum.  

A quick throw from Jackson to senior receiver Cam Camper gave Indiana a 24-yard gain, and redshirt sophomore kicker Chris Freeman ultimately connected from 42 yards to put the Hoosiers on the board. 

Indiana and Ohio State continued to trade possessions with both sides failing to capitalize. With less than a minute left in the quarter, though, Buckeye junior quarterback Kyle McCord found senior tight end Cade Stover for 24 yards to work into field goal range. 

Ohio State sophomore kicker Jayden Fielding’s 40-yard attempt sailed through the uprights with three seconds remaining, and the Hoosiers headed into the half trailing 10-3. 

THIRD QUARTER 

Indiana forced a three and out on the first possession of the second half, but after a quick drive from the Hoosiers, Ohio State took over with just over 12 minutes to go in the quarter. Highlighted by a 27-yard reception from sophomore receiver Julian Fleming, the Buckeyes went on an 11-play, 76-yard drive capped off by a Fielding chip shot from 22 yards out. 

With a little over four minutes remaining in the quarter, McCord found Stover for another huge pickup, this time for 49 yards. A few plays later, Williams punched in his second score of the day, and the Buckeyes took a 20-3 lead with just under two minutes to go. 

FOURTH QUARTER 

With Sorsby back in, the Hoosiers began to move the ball effectively. Sorsby found senior receiver E.J. Williams Jr. for a 19-yard grab to reach Ohio State’s territory, but a 6-yard loss would put an abrupt end to the drive. 

After the turnover on downs, McCord led a 14-play, 54-yard drive capped off by another Fielding 22-yard field goal with just under 4:30 left in the game. 

Starting from their own 5-yard line, the Hoosiers couldn’t muster much on offense and were forced to punt with a little under two minutes left. Indiana was shut out in the second half and fell 23-3 in the first game of the season. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.