INSTANT RECAP: Indiana football routs Indiana State, captures first victory of the season

spiufbinstant090823.jpeg

Indiana football welcomed Indiana State University to Memorial Stadium on Friday night, a week after holding Ohio State to 23 points. While the Sycamores — an FCS school — aren’t highly ranked like the Buckeyes, Indiana defeated Indiana State 41-7 Friday. 

After what head coach Tom Allen explained as a “conservative” offensive approach a week ago, Indiana outgained the Sycamores 558-93 in its first victory of the season. 

FIRST QUARTER 

Indiana State received the ball to open the game, but Indiana forced a punt after a three-and-out. 

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jackson made his first collegiate start and wasted no time getting out to an early 7-0 lead. Sophomore running back Jaylin Lucas capped off the 4-play, 73-yard drive with a 25-yard touchdown run. 

Lucas followed up his first touchdown of the season with another 25-yard touchdown in the following drive. Jackson dove into the endzone, capping off Indiana’s third drive with a 10-yard touchdown and giving the Hoosiers a 21-0 lead. 

The Sycamores opened the game with three three-and-outs before gaining their first first down of the game with just over one minute remaining in the quarter. 

SECOND QUARTER 

Redshirt junior cornerback Nic Toomer intercepted Indiana State’s Evan Olaes, but the Hoosiers were unable to capitalize. Lucas’ fumble was returned 75 yards for a touchdown by Indiana State’s Maddix Blackwell, cutting its deficit to 21-7. 

Indiana ended the half with a 28-yard field goal from redshirt sophomore kicker Chris Freeman, extending its lead to 24-7 heading into halftime. 

THIRD QUARTER 

While the Hoosiers had just two drives in the quarter, the opening drive resulted in a three-and-out. Sixth-year senior running back Christian Turner converted a one-yard touchdown run a drive later, giving Indiana a 31-7 lead. 

FOURTH QUARTER 

With Indiana State’s offense unable to muster up any points, Indiana added a touchdown to its lead in the fourth quarter. Senior running back Josh Henderson scored the final touchdown of the game with 10 minutes and 50 seconds remaining. 

Freshman kicker Nicolas Radicic added a field goal with two minutes and 46 seconds remaining to give Indiana a 41-7 victory. 

Follow reporters Matt Press (@MattPress23) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football season.