Franklin Hall addresses security concerns after multiple harassment incidents

<p>Franklin Hall is seen January 25, 2022, on E. Kirkwood Ave. Police have responded to three incidents in and around Franklin Hall since Aug. 30, 2023.</p>

Franklin Hall is seen January 25, 2022, on E. Kirkwood Ave. Police have responded to three incidents in and around Franklin Hall since Aug. 30, 2023.

Audrie Osterman, IU’s The Media School director of communications and marketing, sent an email on behalf of Franklin Hall to all media school students addressing security-related questions and concerns following several harassment incidents in the building

The email shared several preliminary security measures Franklin Hall has implemented. This includes the exterior doors to the building being only accessible by Crimson Cards, minus the front door. In addition, IUPD cadets have a stronger presence in the building. 

The email also expressed gratitude for questions and suggestions regarding security measures in Franklin Hall and assured conversations and meetings with the IUB Office of Public Safety are currently happening.  

[Related: Three separate incidents bring police to Franklin Hall in one week

IUPD community engagement officers will be in the commons area in Franklin Hall Wednesday from 10 a.m. to noon serving coffee and donuts, according to the email. During this time, members of The Media School are invited to meet officers, ask them questions and share their thoughts.  

According to the email, this will be the first event of several opportunities for public input and Media School students can expect to hear more in the coming weeks.  

[Related: Bloomington police arrest man wielding knife on IU’s campus

Get more award-winning content delivered straight to your inbox. Sign up for our Daily Rundown.