bloomington food

Bru Burger Bar to open Bloomington location

cabruburger091323.jpg

Bru Burger Bar announced plans in March of 2023 to open a location on the corner of Third and Grant St. in “The Annex”. However, construction has delayed the burger restaurant’s opening.  

“I know this has been a request for many many years, and so we are happy to finally accommodate that request,” Marketing Director at Cunningham Restaurant Group, which owns Bru Burger, Carissa Newton said. 

The restaurant was originally supposed to open this fall, Newton said. The construction team said that could be pushed to as late as early 2024 due to developmental delays happening around “The Annex.” 

[Related: 'Every piece has a story': Student-run shop Tailored Thrifts opens on Washington Street]

Bru Burger already has 14 locations, including in college towns such as Evansville, South Bend and West Lafayette.  

Newton said the Bru Burger team wanted to expand to more college town markets. These locations serve students, faculty and the general community — a blend. Newton said this works especially well for business. 

“We had to find the right fit with the right spot,” Newton said. 

The Cunningham Restaurant Group, which owns over 40 restaurants, intends to spread recruitment and employment efforts by using platforms like Handshake, which may be used to employ students, Newton said. 

“Our restaurants are embedded in these communities so if there's ways we can serve certainly we do that,” Newton said.