student life

Recent changes around IUB’s campus that all students should know about

canewoncampus082323.jpg

As students come back to Bloomington, they might notice some things around campus have changed.  

Here are a few changes and updates students should know:  

Dining 

The Bookmarket Eatery in Herman B Wells Library was made into an all-you-care-to-eat dining hall due to the dining hall in Wright Quadrangle being closed. Bookmarket will accept CrimsonCard and credit cards as payment. 

The Read Café in the Read Hall Eatery will reopen for carryout for the all-you-care-to-eat plan. Carryout guidelines can be found on the IU Dining website

The Globe will open at Eigenmann Hall for dinner from 5:30-8:30 p.m., Monday-Thursday and lunch from 11 a.m.–2 p.m., Monday-Thursday in Godfrey Graduate and Education Center. 

[Related: Residents express environmental, infrastructure, traffic concerns about 139-acre development off Weimer Road]

Collins Living-Learning Center will pilot a return container program. Students can scan the bar code on a reusable carry-out container and then return it to the bins where it will be marked “returned” and then washed before being reused. 

Wright Quad Renovations 

Wright Quadrangle is currently closed for renovations. The Wright Quadrangle Renovation project entered its first construction phase over the summer and is expected to finish July 2025, which means Wright will reopen for students in fall 2025. 

The project will involve upgrades to the facility’s building systems. This includes the installation of a central air conditioning system, fire alarm and sprinkler systems, electrical systems and a new emergency generator according to IU' s Capital Planning and Facilities website

Residential wing upgrades will include new flooring, new ceilings, upgrades to selected kitchen equipment, restroom upgrades and window replacements. All-gender restrooms, a new accessible entrance and a new elevator will be added as well according to IU’s Residential Programs and Services website

Road Construction 

Phase one of construction for the Bloomington Reliability Project wrapped up in 2019 by connecting the substation to the existing transmission line system.  

[Related: Bloomington Transit expansion approved by city council]

Phase two of the project began in January with restoration and material removal that will affect parts of Dunn Street and 17th Street. Phase two will go until early 2024 according to Duke’s website. Phase three of the project will affect Rogers Street near Switchyard Park to 11th Street and is currently underway with the same timeline for completion as phase two. 

The project will include Duke Energy constructing new transmission lines that will go to three substations in a 3.3-mile transmission corridor in Bloomington, according to their website. Lane closure will take place during working hours, which are between 7 a.m. and 4 p.m. Monday-Friday. 

Restroom Renovations 

Four gendered multi-stall restrooms were renovated and four new all-gender restrooms were constructed over the summer. The new restrooms are on the first floor of the IMU, the first floor of the Student Building and the basement level of Lindley Hall.