NBA Summer League updates: Hood-Schifino remains steady, Jackson-Davis debuts

spiubbnbarecap071323.jpg

Through three games of NBA Summer League action, Los Angeles Lakers first-round draft selection and former Indiana men’s basketball’s Jalen Hood-Schifino has been a steady presence at the point guard spot.

Against the Charlotte Hornets July 9, Hood-Schifino impressed in the Lakers’ 93-75 victory. He played the second-most minutes on the team with just under 31 and poured in 15 points to go along with five assists and three rebounds.

Hood-Schifino scored efficiently — shooting 5-for-10 from the field and 2-for-2 from deep — and netted a +13 Plus/-Minus. Wednesday night against the Boston Celtics, Hood-Schifino stayed consistent.

In the Lakers’ 95-90 loss, Hood-Schifino scored 15 points, tallied three assists and brought down four boards. He continued to operate well in the pick and roll — a focal point of his success with the Hoosiers last season.

Lauded for his maturity and NBA-ready skillset throughout the draft process, Hood-Schifino drew praise from Lakers head coach Darvin Ham during Wednesday night’s game.

“His moxie —, just his pace. Can’t speed him up, can’t slow him down,” Ham said. “He’s a kid that has the potential to really help us and help us immediately.”

Sitting at 2-1, Hood-Schifino and the Lakers next turn to a matchup with the Memphis Grizzlies at 8 p.m. Friday night.

Trayce Jackson-Davis, the No. 57 selection in the 2023 NBA Draft, was sidelined for the Golden State Warriors’ first three Summer League games in Las Vegas and two previous California Classic games due to a hamstring issue.

Thursday night against the Houston Rockets, the former Indiana forward made his debut in the Warriors’ 118-101 loss. Jackson-Davis made an impact quick into the game, dishing out an assist and swatting a shot in his first minute of action.

In 20 minutes, Jackson-Davis tallied 14 points on 6-for-9 shooting from the field and added seven rebounds. With an 0-4 record in Las Vegas, the Warriors will not advance to the Summer League Playoffs.

Jackson-Davis and Golden State will play a fifth and final game either July 15 or July 16. The opponent and time are to be determined.