sports baseball

Indiana baseball’s Matthew Ellis transfers to Georgia Tech

spiubasebrief070123.jpg

Former Indiana baseball redshirt senior Matthew Ellis announced Friday that he is transferring to the Georgia Institute of Technology to conclude his collegiate career, per the catcher's Instagram post. Ellis is the third Hoosier to transfer away from Bloomington this offseason.

Ellis redshirted his first college season at the University of Tennessee in 2019, then transferred out of the Division I level to Walters State Community College for two seasons. Ellis played in 65 games that second season and slashed .348/.487/.676 with 17 home runs.

In his return to the Power 5 at Indiana, Ellis started all 59 games in the 2022 season and hit 18 home runs — tied for No. 7 on the program's single-season home run charts with current Major Leaguer Kyle Schwarber and Alex Smith. In 2022, the left-handed power-hitter made 36 starts at catcher, 23 as the designated hitter and later received All-Big Ten Third Team honors.

Though Ellis homered in Indiana's first contest of the 2023 season at eventual NCAA Tournament host Auburn University, the catcher's home run pace slowed, hitting four in 25 games. Ellis ceased playing in the first week of April, missing the rest of the season due to his wrist injury. Ellis will have one final year of remaining eligibility next season at Georgia Tech.