sports baseball

3 Hoosiers selected as All-Stars in respective collegiate baseball leagues

spiubasebrief071817.jpg

Indiana baseball's soon-to-be juniors Carter Mathison, Brock Tibbitts and sophomore Devin Taylor were all named All-Stars in their respective summer collegiate baseball leagues across the past two days. Mathison will start, whereas Tibbitts and Taylor are listed as reserves.  

Mathison and Tibbitts compete in the Cape Cod Baseball League, officially formed in 1923. Mathison plays for the all-time winningest Cotuit Kettleers in the West Division, while Tibbitts is on the Brewster Whitecaps in the East. All three Hoosiers hover in the same northeast region, as Taylor plays for the Keene Swamp Bats in the New England Collegiate Baseball League. 

Mathison, who in 2022 set Indiana's all-time freshman home run record, began the summer season at the Cape batting 0-for-11 at the plate. He has since spiked his batting average to .333 through 21 games with the first-place Kettleers. Mathison is fourth in the league with 18 walks – to 11 strikeouts – and had reached base in 16 consecutive games before Monday.  

Tibbitts, in his past two seasons at Indiana, has mostly played first base, though the utility player is still listed at the familiar catcher position on the Eastern’s All-Star roster. Tibbitts caught in high school and transitioned to first base in his freshman season at Indiana. With Brewster this summer, Tibbitts has batted .300 through 25 games and has driven in 11 runs.  

This past spring, Taylor was named the 2023 Big Ten Freshman of the Year and was three home runs shy of tying Mathison’s freshman record. Taylor had the seventh-most home runs in the conference and this summer is tied with two others for the second-most home runs in the NECBL with six. The outfielder is one of four Swamp Bat All-Star selections in the West.   

The Cape Cod All-Star Game will take place at 6 p.m. EST on July 22 at Whitehouse Field in Harwich, Massachusetts. Tickets can be purchased here. The New England League’s All-Star game will be July 23 at 4:30 p.m. EST at Fraser Field in Lynn, Massachusetts. The game will be broadcast on the NECBL Network and tickets can be bought here.