sports men's soccer

Former Indiana men’s soccer player Aidan Morris named to MLS All-Star Team

spiumsbrief062723.jpg

Former Indiana men’s soccer midfielder Aidan Morris, who currently plays for the Columbus Crew, became the 11th Hoosier in program history and the first since 2015 to make a Major League All-Star roster, as the 26-player MLS All-Star Team was revealed Tuesday.  

Morris played one season at Indiana in 2019 and collected numerous accolades. He was named to the Top Drawer Soccer First Team Freshman Best XI and the 2019 College Soccer News All-Freshman Team, while receiving TDS and Big Ten Freshman of the Year honors.  

That year, Morris led the team with eight assists as the Hoosiers won the Big Ten regular-season title and the conference tournament. Morris had two assists in Indiana’s 3-0 victory over No. 19 University of Kentucky in the second round of the NCAA Tournament.  

Morris played for the United States Under-18 Men’s National Team and frequently trained with the Columbus Crew’s first team, per his bio on the IU Athletics website. The midfielder signed a Homegrown Player Contract with the Columbus Crew in 2020 and that same year, Morris became the youngest player to start in an MLS Cup but missed the 2021 season due to tearing his ACL.  

In 2023, the fourth-year pro has started 18 of Columbus Crew’s 19 matches, scoring three goals and recording three assists. The Crew is in fifth place in the MLS Eastern Conference standings — 12 points behind first-place FC Cincinnati — where former Hoosier and two-time Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year Roman Celentano has started all of Cincinnati's 19 matches.  

The MLS All-Star Team was determined with 12 players voted in, 12 players selected by MLS All-Star head coach Wayne Rooney and two selected by MLS Commissioner Don Garber. Morris was voted in and is one of two players to represent the Crew on the All-Star Team.  

The 26 MLS All-Stars will play against English Premier League team Arsenal F.C. in the 2023 MLS All-Star Game at 8:30 p.m. EST July 19 at D.C. United’s Audi Field in Washington, DC. Fans can watch the match with the MLS Season Pass on Apple TV.