Indiana football’s Randle El, Dunbar on 2024 College Football Hall of Fame ballot

spiufbbrief060523.jpg

Former Indiana football stars Antwaan Randle El and Vaughn Dunbar were both named on the 2024 College Football Hall of Fame induction ballot, according to a release from Indiana Athletics on Monday. 

Randle El played quarterback for Indiana from 1998 to 2001, earning both Big Ten Freshman of the Year and Player of the Year honors during his career. In his senior year, Randle El was named First Team All-American and finished sixth in the Heisman voting.  

Randle El was the first player in NCAA history to complete 40 passing touchdowns and 40 rushing touchdowns. He still leads Indiana’s program history in total offensive yards with 11,364, and is second in career passing yardage with 7,469, rushing yardage with 3,895 and touchdowns with 45.  

Randle El went on to play nine seasons as a wide receiver in the NFL, splitting his career between the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Washington Redskins. He won Super Bowl XL in 2005 with the Steelers and threw a 43-yard touchdown pass in the game, becoming the first wide receiver to throw a touchdown in a Super Bowl game. Randle El currently coaches wide receivers for the Detroit Lions.  

Dunbar, a running back for Indiana during the 1990 and 1991 seasons, was a consensus All-American in 1991 after leading the nation in rushing with 1,805 yards. Dunbar ran for 106 yards and a touchdown in the 1991 Copper Bowl’s 24-0 victory over Baylor University, earning MVP honors. This remains Indiana’s most recent bowl victory. 

Indiana has six players who are currently in the College Football Hall of Fame, including Anthony Thompson, the program’s most recent inductee in 2007.