crime & courts

3 sentenced for shooting death of former IU football player Chris Beaty

Crime Filler

Three people have been convicted in the shooting death of Chris Beaty, a former IU football player who was killed during the unrest following George Floyd’s murder in 2020. Beaty, who was 38 years old at the time of his death, was an IU offensive lineman from 2000-2004.

Beaty was shot and killed May 30, 2020, while walking through an alley near his apartment building in Indianapolis, the Indiana Daily Student reported. According to WTHR, police believe Beaty was trying to help someone from being robbed when he was shot.

[Related: Man charged in May shooting death of former IU football player Chris Beaty]

Marion County judge Shatrese Flowers sentenced Marcus Anderson and Alijah Jones to 164 years in prison Wednesday, according to WFYI. Anderson and Jones were also convicted of eight counts of armed robbery. The judge also sentenced Nakeyah Shields to 108 years in prison. Shields was convicted of seven robbery counts.

Anderson, Jones and Shields plan to appeal their convictions, according to WFYI.

A star football player at Cathedral High School in the 1990s, Beaty was known by friends and family as “Mr. Indianapolis,” according to IU Athletics. He played four seasons with IU football from 2000 to 2004. IU Athletics and IU Football announced in 2021 the organizations would establish an endowed football scholarship and an annual team award in honor of Beaty.