sports motor sports

Opening day for Indianapolis 500 practice rained out

spindycarbrief051723.jpg

The opening day of practice for the 107th running of the Indianapolis 500 will have to wait a day. With practice scheduled to begin on Tuesday, intermittent showers forced all on-track activity to be canceled. 

On-track activity is scheduled to resume at 10 a.m. EST Wednesday with five minutes of installation laps for all cars, followed by the Rookie Orientation Program for Abel Motorsport’s RC Enerson from 10:15 a.m. to noon, per release.  

The Rookie Orientation Program is required for all rookie drivers, but Juncos Hollinger Racing’s Agustin Canapino, Dale Coyne Racing’s Sting Ray Robb and A.J. Foyt’s Benjamin Pederson already completed the program during an open testing session at IMS April 20. 

The program consists of three phases. The first phase requires Enerson to complete 10 laps at speeds between 205 and 210 mph. Phase two requires Enerson to complete 15 laps between 210 and 215 mph. In the final phase, Enerson must complete 15 laps at speeds over 215 mph.  

Practice for all 34 drivers attempting to qualify for the “Greatest Spectacle in Racing” will take place from noon to 6 p.m. Wednesday. A pair of practice sessions running from noon to 6 p.m. are set to occur Thursday and Friday before PPG Armed Forces Qualifying Saturday and Sunday.