arts food

COLUMN: Simple but delicious Easter brunch recipes

enteaster040623-illo

Easter Sunday is one of my favorite holidays because the flowers are starting to bloom and the weather is warming up again. Nothing is better than spending a sunny spring day with friends and family at Easter brunch. Follow these recipes to make your Easter Sunday a hit this year.  

French toast casserole 

I don’t eat this dish often but when I do, my plate is cleared in less than 5 minutes. Not only is it delicious, but it comes out looking pretty, which makes for a great dish to serve guests.  

Ingredients:  

½ loaf French bread 

½ cup butter 

1 cup brown sugar  

6 eggs 

2 cups milk 

2 teaspoons vanilla extract  

2 teaspoons cinnamon 

Powdered sugar (optional)  

Instructions: 

1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 13 x 9-inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.

2. Melt butter in a small saucepan on medium heat. Once the butter is melted, add the brown sugar and stir until the mixture is smooth. Then, pour the mixture into the pan and spread it evenly over the bottom.  

3. Take your bread and cut it into cubes. Add the cubes of bread into the same pan, covering the butter and brown sugar mixture evenly.  

4. Grab a medium sized bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and 1 tablespoon of cinnamon altogether. Once smooth, pour the mixture on top of all the bread cubes. Sprinkle the top with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and an extra tablespoon of brown sugar.  

5. Place in the oven and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Once it’s done, take the dish out of the oven and sprinkle some powdered sugar on top — if you’d like — and eat.  

Related: [Food Truck Mondays to start April 3]

Crispy breakfast potatoes   

I love making this recipe whenever I go back home because my family always enjoys these potatoes. If you’re looking for an easy but delicious side dish for Easter brunch, follow this recipe.  

Ingredients: 

1 bag of red potatoes 

1 tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil  

Kosher salt 

Pepper  

Smoked paprika 

Garlic powder 

Parsley for garnish 

Instructions:  

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab your potatoes and drop them in a colander to rinse. Dry them off with a paper towel and cut each potato into quarters.  

2. Grab a large plastic container and drop all the potatoes in. You might need 2 depending on how many potatoes you cut. Drizzle the olive oil all over the potatoes. Grab the salt, pepper, paprika and garlic powder to add as much seasoning as you desire all over the potatoes. Close the lid and shake the container of potatoes well.  

3. Grab a baking sheet and evenly spread the potatoes out. Grab the parsley and sprinkle some on top of the potatoes. Place the potatoes in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Once they are ready, let them sit for about 2 minutes and enjoy.  

Related: [COLUMN: Battle of the breakfast at IU’s dining halls]

Banana chocolate chip muffins 

My mom made this recipe last year for Easter, and I have been obsessed with it ever since. These are great to put on the counter while waiting for the other food to be ready.  

Ingredients: 

1 ¼ cup mashed bananas (2-3 medium bananas)  

1 ½ cup flour  

½ cup brown sugar  

1 teaspoon baking powder  

1 teaspoon baking soda  

¼ teaspoon salt 

5 tablespoons melted butter  

1 egg 

½ teaspoon vanilla extract  

¾ cup mini chocolate chips  

Instructions: 

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grab a muffin pan and fill each muffin cup with paper liners.

2. Grab a large mixing bowl and whisk together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  

3. In a separate bowl, whisk the butter, mashed bananas, egg and vanilla extract together until the mixture is smooth.  

4. Add the banana mixture to the dry ingredients, then use a fork to combine.  

5. Take the chocolate chips and stir them in.  

6. Fill each muffin cup ¾ full. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Use a toothpick to make sure it comes out clean and enjoy.  

Invite your friends and family over this Easter Sunday to test out one or two of these recipes. If it’s nice outside, you can even have a fun picnic in your backyard. Plan an Easter egg hunt before you eat so your guests can sit down and enjoy a nice meal afterward. I can guarantee you these recipes will not disappoint.