arts music

Spice up your life: local performances this week

entshowguide011823-illo

Welcome back! Here is all the information you need for Bloomington’s music scene from April 5-9: 

18+ activities 

The Reef presents a rockin’ skating event with Honey Iced Tea and The Strangers at 9 p.m. on Thursday at Western Skateland. Entrance is $5 and skate rentals are $5. 

Local indie bands The Reys, Mycota and The Strangers will hit the stage at 8 p.m. on Friday at the Arcadia. The cover to see these bands is $5 at the door. 

The Reef’s drag show featuring musical performances from The Matriarch and SYZYGY will begin at 7:15 p.m. on Friday at 313 N. Overhill Drive. Drag performers Red Velvet, Charlie Bear, Doug Deep and Love will round out the night, with a drag makeup station run by Dawn. Cover is $8. 

Indiana folk musicians Eli Cherry, Isaac Carter and Liv LaFluv will grace the stage at 5 p.m. on Saturday at the Orbit Room. Tickets are just $7, with additional table reservations available for $10.  

Related: [COLUMN: ‘Call Me If You Get Lost: The Estate Sale’ proves Tyler, the Creator can’t make bad music

Itching for some hardcore? Join Kiddo, Rest Assured, Truus and Hellbender will be live at 8 p.m. on Saturday at the Antumbra Room, located at 213 S. Rogers St. Entry is $5-10, attendees are encouraged to pay what they can. 

The second FØREAL Festival featuring performances from The Strangers, Northwest, Nick Wagen, Atlas of the Dogs and Atomic Misfits will take place at 7 p.m. on Saturday at The Reef, located at 313 N. Overhill Drive. Cover for the festival will be only $5. 

21+ activities 

Local legends Six Foot Blonde will take the stage at 10 p.m. on Wednesday at The Bluebird. Back again for $1 drink Wednesdays, tickets to see this performance are just $10. 

Electro-pop artist Whethan is stopping in Bloomington at 9 p.m. on Thursday at The Bluebird. Tickets are only $20. 

Punk band Rearview Rhonda and brand-new group Turtle Rock are set to rock at 7 p.m. on Friday at the Orbit Room. Entry is just $8. 

Related: [First Nations Educational and Cultural Center holds annual IU Powwow

Indiana alternative rock band Houndmouth are set to play back-to-back shows this weekend. Both shows are at 8 p.m. on Friday and Saturday at The Bluebird. Tickets to these sure to be iconic performances are just $30. 

Ft. Wayne’s power-pop group Uncle Muscle alongside Heavy Mother and Nite Ryder In The Sky will play an electric show at 9 p.m. on Friday at the Blockhouse Bar. Entry is $5. 

Russian Cowboy and Ducky Neptune — along with a to-be-announced special guest — will hit the stage at 8:30 p.m. on Saturday at the Orbit Room. Tickets are just $8. 

Future forecast: budget for big bands 

The Granfalloon Festival will be back again on June 10 with musical performances from The Flaming Lips, Indigo De Souza and Arrested Development. Inspired by Kurt Vonnegut, authors will give talks about their work, including “The Princess Diaries” author Meg Cabot, leading up to the music festival. Attending the mainstage festival will be free, with additional premium tickets available upward of $60. Tickets to attend the talks are available now, ranging from $10 to $30 depending on the event.