sports iu cinema

IU Cinema to present movie in celebration of IU athletes

spiureboundpreview041823.jpg

IU Cinema will premiere “The Rebound: A Wheelchair Basketball Story,” at 7 p.m. on April 19. The documentary features the Miami Heat Wheels wheelchair basketball team and aims to inspire viewers through the telling of their up and down story.  

The documentary explores the journey to overcome obstacles on and off the court, threatening the team’s quest to win their first national championship in the National Wheelchair Basketball League.  

“Basketball is a huge part of IU's culture,” Michaela Owens, the IU Cinema communications and outreach media specialist said, in an email.  “We hope this film connects with students on that level, but we also want to encourage them to think beyond the culture they've always known and learn about something they might not be as familiar with.”  

The Wheelchair Basketball at IU club has been around since 2017. In her email, she emphasized the importance of recognizing and celebrating all student athletes.  

“People with disabilities aren't helpless figures to be pitied,” Owens said. “They have incredible stories to share, and we'd be foolish not to listen.”  

According to the event page, after the showing, President Daisey Smith, faculty advisor Drew Bogenschutz, and secretary Parker Timberman of the Wheelchair Basketball at IU club will hold a Q&A session to share more about their group with the community.  

“We're constantly saying at IU Cinema that movies expose you to new worlds and perspectives, and ‘The Rebound’ is a great example of that,” Owens said. “Unfortunately, depictions of disabilities in film still have a long way to go, but watching a movie like ‘The Rebound’ can open your mind to possibilities and ideas you hadn't considered before.” 

The show is free, but interested audience members must get a ticket. To get a ticket, call the IU Auditorium Box Office at 812-855-1103 or visit in-person any time until 6 p.m on April 19.