sports track & field

Indiana track and field headlined by throwers this weekend

spiutrack040923.jpg

Indiana track and field split the weekend as the throwers traveled to Triton Track and Field Stadium in San Diego, California, and the rest of the team traveled to the Tom Black Track in Knoxville, Tennessee. The teams looked to continue their hot starts to the outdoor season. 

In California, sophomore Jayden Ulrich broke the program record in the discus event, which she already owned. Her distance of 59.29 meters is fifth best in the country this season.  

Senior Paola Fernandez-Sola competed in the long jump event to open the meet in Tennessee. She now holds the top spot in the Big Ten with 6.49 meters, earning her first place in the event. Freshman Kelly Moran set a personal best in the long jump with 5.58 meters. 

The Hoosiers continued their hot streak in the men's pole vault. Sophomore Tyler Carrel placed first with a height of 5.25 meters, and senior Nathan Stone finished runner-up with a height of 5.15 meters. Both freshman Riley Johnston and junior Tyler Sierks placed inside the top ten as well. 

The last event of day one in Knoxville was the 5,000-meter race. In the women’s race, sophomore Claire Overfelt took the top spot with a personal best time of 16:45.91 seconds. In the men’s race, graduate student Skylar Stidam and senior Tristan Forsythe took second and third place with times of 14:27.95 and 14:33.38 seconds, respectively. 

The Hoosiers took home five individual titles on the second day of competition in Knoxville. Junior Mahogany Jenkins started out the day winning the women’s triple jump with a distance of 12.45 meters. Freshman Taylor Schoonveld won the women’s high jump with a height of 1.60 meters, a personal best. 

Sophomore Camden Marshall won the men’s 800-meter event with a time of 1:50.98 seconds. Freshman Keefer Soehngen placed fourth with a time of 1:52.56 seconds. Graduate Jake Gebhardt continued his impressive season, this time in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, winning with a time of 8:59.77 seconds. 

The Hoosiers closed out the weekend in the men’s 4x400 meter relay, where the “A” relay team placed first in 3:18.69 seconds. 

Next week, the Hoosiers will compete in three meets including the Jim Freeman Invitational, Bryan Clay Invitational and the Mt. Sac Relays April 14-16. The teams look to close out their long stretch of away meets strong before returning home for the Hoosier invitational on April 20 and 21.  

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (@mblivingston) for updates throughout the Indiana track and field season.