sports swimming & diving

Indiana’s Drew Johansen named CSCAA Division I Men’s Diving Coach of the Year

spiusdbrief032723.jpg

After a dominant showing at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships in Minneapolis, Minnesota, Indiana head diving coach Drew Johansen was named the 2023 CSCAA Division I Men’s Diving Coach of the Year on Monday afternoon.  

Johansen, who is in his ninth season at Indiana, has coached five divers to national championships in the last five years, including two Hoosier men this season. This year, graduate student Andrew Capobianco and sophomore Carson Tyler took home individual titles in the 3-meter springboard and the platform events, respectively.  

Three Hoosier divers combined for five medals at the men’s NCAA meet. The trio of Capobianco, Tyler and sophomore Quinn Henninger all scored at least 30 points. The three divers, along with freshman Maxwell Weinrich, were a crucial part of Indiana’s success at the meet, as the Hoosiers took home fourth place. Had Indiana just sent its divers to Minneapolis, they would have finished 12th out of 38 teams.  

Indiana dominated throughout the postseason, sweeping the diving events at the Big Ten Championships for the second consecutive season. Capobianco and Tyler were named Co-Diver of the Championships and the Hoosiers swept the medal positions in the platform event.  

This marks Johansen’s third time receiving the honor in his career, as he was named the women’s coach of the year in 2018 and 2022.  

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.