sports softball

Indiana softball returns home to open conference play against Maryland

spiusbpreview032323.jpg

Indiana softball returns to Andy Mohr Field this weekend to open conference play against No. 22 Maryland (22-5). On Saturday, the Hoosiers will face off against the Terrapins in a doubleheader with the first game taking place at noon and the second game at 3 p.m. The final game of the series is set for noon on Sunday. 

The Hoosiers are coming off a 4-0 weekend in the Memphis Tiger Classic last weekend where they averaged 9.25 runs per game. 

Freshman infielder Taryn Kern has been on a tear for Team 50 to start the season, being awarded Big Ten Co-Player and Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week. Kern had a 0.667 batting average last week in five games and hit four home runs, now leading the team in home runs.  

[Related: Indiana softball infielder Taryn Kern earns two awards for second straight week]

Sophomore pitcher Brianna Copeland has also been a driving force in the circle with her 9-0 record, going 2-0 last weekend in Memphis, Tennessee. Copeland also leads the pitching staff with an ERA of 1.90 in 18 appearances this season. 

Although the Hoosiers are riding a 12-game win streak, they will be up against stiff competition this weekend against the Terrapins who have won 13 of their last 14 games.  

At the plate, Maryland is led by junior outfielder Jaeda McFarland. She leads the team with a 0.400 batting average along with leading the team in total bases, with 48 so far this season.  

In the circle, the Terrapins are led by senior pitcher Trinity Schlotterbeck who holds an ERA of 1.85 and a record of 10-2 in 13 appearances so far this season. Freshman pitcher Keira Bucher has been relied upon to come in at the end of games and close them out, recording nine saves this season. 

All three games this weekend will be televised as the 3 p.m. game on Saturday and the noon game Sunday will be on BTN+, while the noon game on Saturday will be televised on Big Ten Network. 

Follow reporters Austin Platt (@AustinPlatter) and Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) for updates throughout the softball season.