sports softball

Indiana softball matches second-longest winning streak with 9-1 win over Butler

spiusbrecap032823.jpg

Indiana softball successfully extended its win streak Tuesday night with a 9-1 win over in-state foe Butler University at Andy Mohr Field. The game lasted only five innings as the Hoosiers run-ruled the Bulldogs. 

“Always great to step out of Big Ten play and get a win,” head coach Shonda Stanton said afterward. 

The Hoosiers jumped out to a quick 5-0 lead in the first inning despite not recording an extra-base hit in that frame. Team 50 used four singles, one walk, one hit by pitch and a Butler error to plate a quintet of runs. 

Those five runs were more than enough for the trio of Indiana pitchers who entered the circle. Sophomore Brianna Copeland earned her 11th win of the season, pitching three scoreless innings while striking out four Bulldogs. Junior Macy Montgomery and freshman Sophie Kleiman each pitched an inning to finish off the shortened game. 

Indiana’s offense, which Stanton said is the main reason the team is better than it was last season, added four more runs in the game, one in the second and three in the fourth. The single run in the second came off the bat of freshman infielder Taryn Kern, who hit her 12th home run to right field to give Team 50 a 6-0 lead. Kern was 2-for-2 with two runs after being named Big Ten Freshman of the Week for the third straight week. 

Sophomore outfielder Taylor Minnick and freshman utility player Avery Parker each went 2-for-3 with a pair of RBIs in the game. 

Stanton said she would have liked to pour it on a little bit more after the explosive first inning but was happy her team was able to conclude the game after the minimum of five innings. 

Indiana’s win streak extends to 16 games, tied for the second-longest in program history and just two away from tying the program record of 18. 

Indiana is back in action Wednesday for a doubleheader against rival Purdue, beginning at 3 p.m. in West Lafayette. Both games will be televised on Big Ten Network.

Follow reporters Dalton James (.@djames1824) and Austin Platt (.@AustinPlatter) for updates throughout the Indiana softball season.