sports swimming & diving

Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive sends 8 divers to NCAA Championships

spiusdrecap031223.jpeg

During the NCAA Zone C Diving Championships this weekend, four men from the No. 6 Indiana men’s team and four women from the No. 8 Indiana women’s team qualified for the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships. 

Graduate student Andrew Capobianco, sophomores Carson Tyler and Quinn Henninger and freshman Maxwell Weinrich earned qualifying bids for the men, with each diver in the Hoosier quartet earning automatic qualifying bids in all three events: the 1-meter, 3-meter and platform.  

They earned four of the top five spots in the platform event. Head diving coach Drew Johansen said the men were led by Capobianco.  

“It’s a continuation of Andrew’s leadership with this young group,” Johansen said Saturday night. “Especially (Weinrich), he had never been in a format like this before, but he watched his teammates do it and that kept him going.”  

The women were led by sophomore Skyler Liu and junior Anne Fowler, with Liu taking the top overall spot in the platform event and qualifying for all three events alongside the two-time 2023 Big Ten Champion Fowler. Sophomores Megan Carter and Alaina Heyde will join Liu and Fowler in the 1-meter this week at the Allan Jones Aquatic Center in Knoxville, Tennessee.  

Coach Johansen said much of what Indiana is doing right now is a continuation of what happened at the Big Ten Championships just a few weeks ago, noting the men’s and women’s teams bonding together and using their combined energy to carry them through the postseason.  

“The zone format is physically challenging,” Johansen said. “They kept each other up. It was just a great day, and we’re looking forward to getting to NCAAs.”  

After a quick return home, it is a quick turnaround for the women. They compete in the NCAA women’s swimming and diving championships March 15-18 in Knoxville, Tennessee. The men compete for a national title March 22-25 at the Jean K. Freeman Aquatic Center in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.