bloomington

Dogs seized from unauthorized hoarding, breeding operation in Bloomington

caunauthorizedbreeding031923

The City of Bloomington Animal Care and Control seized 68 dogs from a hoarding and unauthorized breeding operation March 17, according to a press release from the City of Bloomington.  

The Bloomington Police Department and the Monroe County Sheriff’s Department helped with the seizure. Ryan Pedigo, captain of the BPD, said it is still an ongoing investigation.  

Emily Herr, outreach and behavior coordinator at BACC, said BACC received a concern from a Bloomington community member about how dogs were adopted from the operation, and BACC proceeded to investigate further. She said she is not allowed to give the name of the unauthorized breeding operation involved. 

[Related: 'It’s my whole life:' Delilah’s Pet Shop struggles after city ban]  

In a Facebook post from March 17, the BACC said they will drop all fees for dogs older than six months that are already up for adoption but not those from the seizure.  

Community members are allowed to provide short-term foster care for the seized dogs for up to two weeks by applying on the city’s website. According to the press release, the Bloomington Animal Shelter is welcoming monetary and bedding donations, which can be dropped off at the front door of the Bloomington Animal Shelter at 3410 S. Walnut St. Citizens can give monetary donations from noon to 4 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and from noon to 3 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.