student life bloomington

Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing

Cakappaalphapsi-png

The IU chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi was placed on cease and desist on March 6 for hazing, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status. All activities within the chapter will be suspended until further notice.  

Related: [Alpha Phi sorority placed on cease and desist for endangering others, alcohol, hazing]

Cease and desist is an interim measure placed upon chapters when there is an immediate threat or ongoing investigation, according to the IU Student Affairs website. For organizations on disciplinary probation, any violation of the conditions or further acts of misconduct will result in additional consequences that may include suspension or expulsion from the university.  

Related: [Zeta Beta Tau fraternity placed on cease and desist for hazing]

Kappa Alpha Psi faced social restrictions from Jan. 28 to Dec. 14, 2019, and deferred suspension from Jan. 28, 2019, to Jan. 28, 2020, for alcohol and noncompliance with the Greek organization Agreement, according to IU’s list.  

Four IU Greek organizations— Kappa Alpha Psi, Alpha Phi, Zeta Beta Tau and Theta Chi — are currently on cease and desist. There are nine Greek organizations on suspension and seven on other disciplinary statuses, according to IU’s list of organizations on disciplinary status 

Despite IU’s strict anti-hazing policy, 13 of the 19 Greek organizations on disciplinary status achieved that status due to hazing, among other things.