COLUMN: Y2K fashion favored by the younger generations

entfashion022223-illo

The Y2K trend has been mainstreamed since 2021 and doesn’t seem to have an end in sight. Y2K outfits consist of baby tees, baggy low-rise jeans, knee-high boots, miniskirts, crocheted pieces, fun patterns and textures, matching sets and more.  

Popular celebrities — who many look up to for fashion inspiration — are also encouraging the style like Bella Hadid, Kendall Jenner and Hailey Bieber. These celebrities post their outfits frequently on Instagram, and many use their outfits as inspiration for themselves. Specifically Bella Hadid has been popularized on TikTok as someone people look up to for her cool day-to-day wear.  

Related: [Student film ‘Dancing Man’ to premier Feb. 26 at IU Cinema

This current style trend has since been discussed in many fashion magazines including Vogue, Harper’s Bazaar and Cosmopolitan. Many of the articles say that Y2K is back. Many Gen-Zers have embraced this clothing style and enjoy wearing these outfits.  

Personally, I also love the trend and the outfits. Looking effortless, cute and easy is what appeals to me the most. I love to throw low-waisted jeans on with a cute crop top and fun accessories.  

These pieces can be thrifted but can also be bought online with cheaper options.  If you want to thrift online, threadUP and Depop are great places to scour for Y2K. However, if you’re looking for cheaper options, stores like Goodwill and even Amazon are all budget-friendly. Nonetheless, if you have more money to spend and are looking for stores that can quickly lead you to the Y2K style, Princess Polly, White Fox Boutique, and Motel Rocks are all great places to find nicer quality items for this style.  

I also love this trend because it is so versatile.  You can wear mesh tops or just a simple tube top. You can wear low-waisted bellbottom jeans or baggy dad jeans; it's completely up to you. Wear cool sunglasses or wear a matching going- out set with fun prints on it. This trend is completely customizable.  

Related: [Jazz at Lincoln Center took jaunt through jazz with ‘Songs We Love’

This trend is not exactly the 2000s to a tee, but it has upgraded good, but dated, styles from the 2000s. We, as Gen-Z, have customized it to our taste. Instead of Juicy Couture sweatsuits — which are still worn — we have changed it to: matching sweatsuits with fun sayings, quotes or even graphic designs.  

Whether you’re a fan or not, I believe the Y2K style is here to stay — for at least a while longer. So, while it’s still here, try it out and see what you like. Wear what makes you feel comfortable and confident.