sports water polo

No. 13 Indiana water polo is back on road, competing in UCSD Triton Invitational

spiuwprecap010223.jpg

No. 13 Indiana women’s water polo travel to San Diego, California, to compete in the University of California-San Diego Triton Invitational this weekend. The Hoosiers are coming off a successful campaign last weekend in Bloomington after going 4-0 in the Hoosier Invite. 

Fourteen teams were invited to compete in the UCSD Triton Invitational. Indiana will compete in a bracket that includes No. 2 University of Southern California, No. 16 University of California, Santa Barbara and Concordia University Irvine.

Indiana’s first match is against UCSB. The opponent in the second round will be determined by the results within the bracket.  

Indiana previously faced USCB Jan. 21, where it lost 13-10. After USCB collected this win, it went on to beat Long Island University, Bucknell University and Wagner University at the Princeton Invite. The Gauchos will enter the invitational with an overall record of 8-2.

If Indiana beats UCSB, its second game of the weekend will be against the winner of the CUI and USC matchup. If Indiana loses to UCSB, it will face the loser of that matchup.  

CUI has an overall 1-1 record after participating in the UCSB Winter Invite. The Hoosiers and Golden Eagles were both at this event Jan. 20 to Jan. 22 but did not face one another.  

At the UCSB Winter Invite, CUI beat University of California, Merced 24-2 however fell short to then No. 19 UCSB.  

Indiana’s other potential opponent for the second game is USC. The Trojans are undefeated with a 4-0 record. USC has wins over University of the Pacific, Biola University, Long Beat State University and California Baptist University.  

Indiana lost to then-No. 3 USC last season 16-3. If the Hoosiers face the Trojans, the rematch could serve as an effective way to measure Indiana’s growth in the past year.  

The Hoosiers’ ranking after the first two rounds will determine their schedule for the rest of the weekend.  

Follow reporter Marnie Sara (@marniesara5) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s water polo season.