sports track & field

Indiana track and field finish out regular indoor season

spiutfrecap022023.jpg

Indiana track and field finished its regular season at the University of Notre Dame. The Hoosiers were represented by the men’s and women’s distance medley relay teams and runners in the mile and 800-meter races. 
The meet was headlined by the men’s distance medley relay team, comprised of sophomore Camden Marshall, seniors Micah Camble and Parker Raymond and graduate student Jake Gerbhardt. The team broke the program record of 9 minutes, 22.78 seconds that was set last season, running the race in 9:22.16. They finished seventh in the race, but their time is the 10th fastest in the nation, putting them in a place to make the NCAA championships.

Senior Alyssa Robinson along with graduates Maddie Dalton, Jenna Barker and Sarah Schmitt ran in the women’s DMR for the Hoosiers. The group placed eighth in the meet with a time of 11:10.49 seconds, the seventh-best time in program history. 

Freshman Keefer Soehngen ran under 1:50 seconds in the men's 800-meter race for the first time in his career. He finished in third place with a time of 1:49.47. Finishing behind him was graduate Dustin Horter with a time of 1:51.21, also a personal best. 

To round out the meet, junior Maddie Russin won the women’s 800-meter race with a time of 2:10.60 seconds. Senior Elizabeth Stanhope finished in eighth place with a time of 2:12.31. 

The Hoosiers have now completed the indoor regular season and look ahead to the Big Ten Championships beginning next weekend in Geneva, Ohio. The men’s team is seeking its 20th title, the last coming in 2020. The women are looking for their fourth title overall and first since 2000. 

Follow reporter Michael Livingston (.@mblivington_) for updates throughout the Indiana track and field season.