sports high school sports

Bloomington North varsity swim team captures fourth consecutive sectional team title

highschool swim2.png

The Bloomington North high school swim team won its fourth consecutive IHSAA boys’ varsity swimming and diving championship on Feb. 18 at East Central High School in St. Leon, Indiana. 

The Cougars propelled to the finish line by winning seven of the twelve events, beating Bloomington South high school 47 points.  

Three of the seven wins came in relays. Sophomore James Stewart set a good pace right off the blocks and junior Teagan Hojem won by just over two seconds in the A final 200-yard medley relay.  

Stewart also kicked off the A final 200-yard freestyle relay, which ended up being a much closer finish. Sophomore Luke Miller was able to clinch the win and crucial 40 team points by less than a second.  

The final event of the day, which all but sealed the victory for the Cougars, was another relay performance in the A final of the 400-yard freestyle. Seniors Jack Steiner and Leo Wang secure the team’s fourth straight sectionals title in the competition, besting East Central team by more than three seconds.  

Along with the victories in the relays, Bloomington North had four individual wins as well. Junior Ben Dixon took home first place in the 100- and 200- yard freestyle races. 

Senior and captain Max Miller posted an impressive 393.55 finals score in the 1-meter diving, dominating the field and coming away with the victory by 23 points.  

Sophomore Jay Stewart earned a vital 20 team points in the 100-yard butterfly, swimming an impressive time — under 50 seconds.  

Even with the phenomenal achievement of a sectional championship, the season is not over for some swimmers. All event winners will head to states on Feb. 24-25 at the IU Natatorium in Indianapolis.