Bloomington North wins against Edgewood in dominant fashion

spiuhsbbrecap010323.jpeg

Six-foot-eight senior and Vanderbilt University commit JaQualon “JQ” Roberts and the Bloomington High School North Cougars hosted the Edgewood Mustangs for a midweek men’s basketball tipoff.  

Bloomington North came into the game 11-3, looking to extend their win streak to nine games, while Edgewood struggled all season with a record of 8-10. 

The Cougars started the game strong with back-to-back triples from Roberts and senior Gavin Reed. Edgewood struggled early to overcome the full-court press and man-to-man defense of Bloomington North to find themselves down early. 

Junior Mialin White hit a three-quarter court shot at the end of the first quarter to put the Mustangs on the board and after the first eight minutes the Cougars lead 11-3. Roberts had six of the eleven points for Bloomington North. 

At the beginning of the second quarter, Edgewood ran their offense and scored four points immediately. But JQ Roberts, just like the first quarter, quickly took back the game, scoring sixteen points in the second quarter alone. Sophomore Xander Hammonds of Edgewood scored six of their eight points. 

At the half, the Cougars lead 40-11 off a monstrous first half from Roberts with twenty-two points even ending the half on three straight steal and score possessions. Edgewood had difficulty finding any rhythm offensively and struggled against the press.  

Just like the start of the first half, the second half had back-to-back triples, this time by the Cougars sophomore Luke Lindeman. Edgewood quickly responded with sophomore Carl Norris scoring five straight for the Mustangs.  

After the quick response from the Mustangs, the Cougars took over and ended the third quarter with a score of 58-18. Lindeman led all scorers in this quarter with eight points from the two triples made at the start of the quarter. 

With a running clock in the fourth quarter, both offenses struggled and missed open looks, giving up multiple turnovers in the process. Hammonds went on a run of his own with three baskets, but it was not enough as the Cougars defeated the Mustangs 68-26. 

Roberts leads all scorers with 22 points, all coming in the first half. Lindeman also contributed 17 points, hitting three triples on the night. For Edgewood, Hammonds scored in double digits and he contributed 12 points. Norris scored 9. 

The Bloomington North Cougars are back at home Feb. 10 against conference foe Terre Haute North Vigo High School, looking to extend their win streak to ten games.