sports women's basketball

Yarden Garzon earns Big Ten, national Freshman of the Week awards

spiuwbbbrief011723.jpg

Freshman guard Yarden Garzon was awarded two freshman of the week honors Tuesday, coming from the Big Ten and United States Basketball Writers Association. As Tamika Catchings National Freshman of the Week, Garzon becomes the first to receive the honor in Indiana women’s basketball history.

Garzon averaged 15 points, seven rebounds and four and a half assists in two games in her award-winning week. She shot an efficient 73.3% from the field including 70% from deep.

Against then-No. 9 Maryland Thursday night, Garzon scored 11 points, grabbed six rebounds and dished out two assists in the 68-61 win. Three of her four field goals were 3-pointers, including a crucial make to break a 50-50 tie in the fourth quarter, leading to a 9-0 Indiana run to clinch the win.

With her family in attendance against Wisconsin Sunday afternoon, Garzon put on a show. She scored 19 points, notched 8 rebounds and seven assists to lead the Hoosiers to a 93-56 win.

Garzon’s Big Ten honor is her second of the season. She became one of four Big Ten players to be a multiple-time Big Ten Freshman of the Week this season.

Garzon will look to continue her high-level performances as she and the Hoosiers will take on two ranked opponents this week on the road. Indiana plays at No. 21 Illinois Wednesday night and at No. 14 Michigan Monday night.

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Sebree (@mattsebree) and columnist Matt Press (@MattPress23) for updates throughout the Indiana women’s basketball season.