Intramural spring sports registration now open

caintramuralsports011023.jpg

As the spring semester commences, so does registration for many activities around campus. Student registration for intramural sports opened Jan. 9 and will close Jan. 23. Whether you are looking for a new club to join or hoping to get more active with an intramural sport, IU has a variety of options for students to get involved.  

This spring semester, students can sign up for basketball, battleship, futsal, handball and wallyball. 

In order to register, you must currently be enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student and have paid the mandatory student activity fee as part of your IU tuition payment. Ivy Tech Community College students living in an IUB residence hall and university faculty can also sign up if they have purchased a current, valid Recreational Sports Membership.  

According to IU Division of Student Affairs Intramural Sports Participant Handbook, those who have competed professionally in a corresponding sport may not register. Current varsity athletes may not register for the sport in which they represent IU.  

After signing up, there is a required fee to play external to the mandatory student activity fee, ranging anywhere from $20-70.  

While registration has only just opened,  Ryan Fitzgerald,  assistant director of intramural sports, said some sports are filling up quickly. Fitzgerald said basketball is one of the sports filling up quickly, with open rec already having a waitlist.  

According to the IMLeagues intramural sports website, recreational league is for those looking purely for fun and fitness. The environment is more relaxed and focuses on “social and fitness benefits.”. There is women's rec, men's rec, coed rec and an open rec. Competitive league is for those looking to compete at a higher level of skill. Competitive leagues will play three games, followed by an elimination playoff game for qualifying teams. There is a women’s competition, men’s competition, fraternity competition, and coed competition.  

Within each sport, there is a variety of leagues and divisions to join, ranging in skill level and commitment. As seen on the IMLeagues website, whether you choose to play on a competitive team or are simply looking for a more recreational experience, there is a league for everyone who wants to join. 

Although the majority of these sports have seasons lasting throughout the semester — lasting from Jan. 29 until late February or early March — a few are only a weekend-long event. 

For example, on Feb. 11, IU Division of Student Affairs will host a battleship tournament. The event will take place throughout the day from noon to 6 p.m. Teams of three to nine students will spend their Sunday in the SRSC pool attempting to sink other canoes.  

Handball and wallyball are also shorter seasons, only lasting about two weeks in February. 

Students can find a list of all intramural sports, leagues, and teams on the intramural sports website