ACLU drops lawsuit against Indiana ban on transgender girls from participating in school sports

catransgenderathleteban012223-jpg

A lawsuit against Indianapolis Public Schools and the state of Indiana, pertaining to Indiana House Bill 1041, was dropped on  Jan. 18, according to the Associated Press.  

The lawsuit was filed in May 2022 by the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana. The challenged Indiana House Bill 1041 bans transgender girls from participating on an athletic team designated for women’s or girls' sports.  

According to the Associated Press, the case was dropped due to the plaintiff no longer attending an Indianapolis Public School. The defendants and the plaintiffs agreed to dismiss the case.  

Once the law was effective on July 1, 2022, the plaintiff, a 10-year-old girl, was no longer allowed to play on her school’s softball team because she is transgender.  However, a federal judge issued a preliminary junction that same month declaring that IPS must allow her to rejoin the team, according to the Indy Star.   

In a statement on Jan. 19, the ACLU of Indiana said they believed the law was still discriminatory, even though the case was dismissed. The ACLU of Indiana also encouraged any transgender student facing discrimination on a public school sports team to reach out to them, according to the Herald Times.