sports track & field

Indiana track and field hosts day 1 of the Indoor Indiana Relays

spiutfrecap012823.jpg

Indiana indoor track and field finished out its homestand hosting the Indiana Relays on Friday, Jan. 27. Athletes from schools across the country competed in a mix of long-distance, field events and dashes on the first day of the meet. 

The Hoosiers started off the meet with the 60-meter hurdles, and junior Nile Brown qualified for the women’s final with a time of 8.98 seconds. On the men’s side, the Hoosiers had two runners qualify: freshman John Colquitt and senior Shaton Vaughn, who ran personal best times of 8.10 and 8.27 seconds respectively. 

In the men’s 60-meter prelims, junior Antonio Laidler had the fastest time of the meet running 6.77 seconds. Freshmen Trelee Banks and Ray Brodie will join Laidler in the final on Saturday. 

Freshman Taylor Schoonveld won the high jump event with a height of 1.68 meters, narrowly missing her personal best of 1.69 meters. In the men’s weight throw, sophomore Sean Mockler threw 20.89 meters and took third place. 

The Hoosiers dominated the men’s pole vault event, taking the top four spots. Junior Nathan Stone cleared 5.15 meters and took first place, followed by sophomore Tyler Carrel, freshman Riley Johnston and sophomore Tyler Sierks. 

Sophomore Maddie Russin placed first in the women’s 600-meter final with a time of 1:31.85. Meanwhile, in the men’s 600-meter final, sophomore Parker Raymond placed second with a time of 1:19.48. Freshman Keefer Soehngen and his time of 1:20:09 came in fourth. 

In the final women’s event of the night, junior Alyssa Robinson missed out on first place by 0.03 seconds, running a 23.84 200-meter dash. Junior Antonio Laidler ran in the last event, a 200-meter dash in 21.14 seconds, which is the fourth in the Big Ten this season. 

The Hoosiers look to finish out their homestand on Saturday, Jan. 28, in events including the women’s pole vault, the 60-meter hurdles and dash finals and continue their push towards the postseason. 

Follow reporter Michael Livington @mblivingston) for updates throughout the Indiana track and field season.