Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive to close regular season Friday at Louisville

spiusdpreview012623.jpg

The No. 7/9 Indiana men’s and women’s swim and dive teams will face off against the No. 17/6 University of Louisville Cardinals on Friday afternoon at the Ralph Wright Natatorium in their final dual meet of the regular season.   

Indiana enters this matchup with five consecutive wins. Both the men and women are undefeated since mid-October, with their only losses coming at the hands of the then-No. 2/3 University of Texas.   

The Hoosiers have had success this season thanks to a host of strong individual performances, but perhaps more notable has been their ability to take the top spot in relay events.   

“Relays are an embodiment of the team,” head swimming coach Ray Looze said after a scrimmage in October. Looze said throughout Indiana's 2022-23 campaign, he would be emphasizing a high level of performance on relays, and this focus has paid large dividends.  

On the women’s side, swimmers such as senior Noelle Peplowski, junior Elizabeth Broshears, sophomore Anna Peplowski, and freshmen Kristina Paegle and Mya Dewitt have led the way in individual and relay events.   

At the start of the season, Looze voiced his excitement about the freshman duo of Paegle and Dewitt. In hindsight, they certainly have not disappointed. Paegle has earned Big Ten Women’s Freshman of the Week honors three times this season, and she and Dewitt have been a crucial part of the team’s success.   

The men have seen strong seasons from senior defending NCAA Champion Brendan Burns, graduate student Van Mathias, juniors Tomer Frankel and Jassen Yep, as well as sophomores Rafa Miroslaw and Luke Barr.   

This season, junior Anne Fowler as well as sophomores Quinn Henninger and reigning Big Ten Men’s Diver of the Week Carson Tyler have been the names at the top of the scoreboard for Indiana diving, but in Indiana’s home meet versus Michigan earlier this month, 2020 Olympic silver medalist Andrew Capobianco competed in his first NCAA meet of the season to add to Indiana’s strong diving core. The graduate student swept both events in his return to competition, somersaulting his way to his sixth-career Big Ten Diver of the Week award.    

Friday’s meet in Louisville will begin at 2 p.m. and will be available for viewing on ACC Network Extra via the ESPN app.   

Follow reporter Nick Rodecap (@nickrodecap) for updates throughout the Indiana swim and dive season.