sports tennis

Indiana men’s tennis dominates Butler, Ball State in Sunday double-header

spiumtrecap013023.jpg

Indiana men’s tennis was back in action this weekend as they hosted Butler University and Ball State University in a Sunday double-header. The Hoosiers defeated Butler 4-0 and Ball State 5-2. 

It had been over a week since the Hoosiers were last on the court. After an extended break from matches, the team was ready to get back out there. 

“It felt like we were getting a little complacent, we were ready to compete again,” head coach Jeremy Wurtzman said after the match against Ball State. 

In the first match of the day against Butler, the Hoosiers got out to a strong start early and secured the doubles point. 

“It means more than just one point, the momentum that it creates can help you win matches,” Wurtzman said. 

Fifth-year senior Patrick Fletchall and junior Ilya Tiraspolsky partnered at No. 1 doubles to take down Butler seniors Thomas Brennan and Alvaro Huete 6-2. Freshman Ekansh Kumar and senior Luka Vukovic followed that up by defeating freshman Nicolas Arts and senior Borja Miralles 6-4 at No. 3 doubles. That gave the Hoosiers the 1-0 lead over Butler 

“It’s huge, it sets the tone and it’s always a big advantage when you get that doubles point,” Fletchall said. 

In singles, the Hoosiers took wins at No. 1, No. 4 and No. 6 singles to complete the sweep of Butler. 

Fletchall took down Brennan at No. 1 singles to secure the first singles point for the Hoosiers.  

“When you play No. 1 singles, you’re going against everyone’s best player,” Wurtzman said. “He’s going to have his hands full pretty much every match he plays, but I think he’s ready for it.” 

Tiraspolsky and Kumar followed that up with wins of their own against Arts and sophomore Patrick Joss.  

In the second match of the day against Ball State, the Hoosiers again jumped out to an early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. 

This time, Fletchall teamed up with junior Jagger Saylor at No. 1 doubles to secure a victory for Indiana. They beat fifth-year senior Danilo Kovacevic and senior Parrish Simmons 6-2. In dramatic fashion, Kumar and Vukovic once again teamed up and took down freshman Broc Fletcher and senior Abe Wojtalik. The Hoosier duo saw themselves down 5-2 before winning five straight games to clinch the doubles point, winning the match 7-5.  

“They just started slow, once we matched their energy that took care of it,” Wurtzmand said. “It was great that they were resilient enough to get the win there.” 

Indiana continued their momentum from doubles into singles play. Fletchall at No. 1 singles beat sophomore Nathaniel Webster. Freshman Sam Landau dominated at No. 3 singles, defeating Kovacevic 6-0, 6-0. Lastly, Tiraspolsky won at No. 4 singles against senior Eli Herran.  

They won their three matches in quick succession to give the Hoosiers a 4-0 lead, ensuring the win. 

Kumar went on to win at No. 6 singles, knocking off sophomore Petar Petrovic. The Hoosier freshman continued to play with energy throughout the day. 

“I think it’s great he brings a lot of energy, especially for Ilya,” Fletchall said. “He’s a little more focused and quieter, so I think playing next to Ekansh helps him.”  

Vukovic and Saylor lost at No. 2 and No. 5 singles to freshman Jacks Lancaster and senior Vince Orlando, giving Ball State two singles points. The final score read 5-2. 

With the two wins, Indiana sits at 4-1 on the season. The Hoosiers have been dominant in doubles this year, going 11-1 in doubles play throughout their first five matches. 

Indiana continues their non-conference schedule next weekend when Dartmouth College and Xavier University visit the IU Tennis Center. 

Follow reporter Zach Browning (@ZachBrowning17) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s tennis season.